Saturday, September 30, 2006

Quinn's birth



Born: 6:15 pm Monday September 7th 1998

Christchurch Womens Hospital

I was 19 when I found out I was pregnant with my first baby, younger than I had planned but there was no doubt in my mind that I loved this baby and would forever. I had a pretty good pregnancy, read loads of books and felt as prepared as I could be. I woke early , about 5:30 in the morning, 2 days before I was due, with pains. I thought this was it, so I got up and ran a bath. I lay in the bath breathing through the pains which where about 10 mins apart. Once out of the bath I made myself some breakfast, ate a little and then threw it up on the kitchen floor. Rang my midwife, she said it could be awhile and to ring her later on if things kept progressing. I then rang my mum and told her not to go to work. My mum was my support person, as I was going to be a single mum, this didnt really bother me by this point. I had moved on and couldnt wait to have my baby. Mum was great , she came over and helped me through. I met my midwife at the hospital in the morning and she said she didnt think I would have the baby that day. But I knew I was. She then sent me home with some panadol ( of all things) and some sleeping tablets to help me get some rest. i spent the afternoon on my mums couch, trying to deal with the pain, and no, not sleeping at all. I rang my midwife agian at about 4:30 as my contractions were 5 mins apart and my nose was bleeding, and I felt awful. She told me to meet her at the hospital at 5pm. Mum, Dad and I went to the hospital and my midwife did an examination. I was 6 cm. She asked me if I wanted her to break my waters and help bring on the labour faster. I said yes, as I wanted the pain to stop. She broke my waters at 5:15 pm, and then the real pain began. "Oh my god" . The contractions came faster and stronger, My baby had passed meconium in her fluid , she was distressed, so my midwife got an obstetrician in to assist. She was great. I was offered some gas, which was empty and whistled, so I didnt have any in the end. I had a pain relief free birth.Mum held a mirror for me so I could see, but I had my eyes closed most of the time. Dad stayed up the other end and held my hand and cried. They were great support. I had my midwife, the obstetrician and 2 midwifery students, my parents and I in the room. A bit of a squish. But we got there. My beautiful baby girl was born at 6:15 pm, with the chord around her neck, looking a bit like a pale aborigine.LOL. I could see her looking around when just her head was out. I knew she was going to be a clever girl and she is, the first great thing to happen to me.

A healthy beautiful 7 pounds 4 oz, brown eyes and dark hair.
Welcome to the world Quinn Mistie Karen.

Submitted by Mistie.

No comments: